- We expect our judges to be honest and wise. Their integrity and impartiality are the bedrock of the entire judicial system. We trust them to ensure fair trials, to protect the rights of all litigants, to punish those who do wrong, and to oversee the orderly and efficient flow of justice.
- But what happens when a judge bends the law or takes a bribe? It’s rare, but it happens.
Lacy Stoltz is an investigator for the Florida Board on Judicial Conduct. She is a lawyer, not a cop, and it is her job to respond to complaints dealing with judicial misconduct. After nine years with the Board, she knows that most problems are caused by incompetence, not corruption.
- But a corruption case eventually crosses her desk. A previously disbarred lawyer is back in business with a new identity. He now goes by the name Greg Myers, and he claims to know of a Florida judge who has stolen more money than all other crooked judges combined. And not just crooked judges in Florida. All judges, from all states, and throughout U.S. history.
- What’s the source of the ill-gotten gains? It seems the judge was secretly involved with the construction of a large casino on Native American land. The Coast Mafia financed the casino and is now helping itself to a sizable skim of each month’s cash. The judge is getting a cut and looking the other way. It’s a sweet deal: Everyone is making money.
- But now Greg wants to put a stop to it. His only client is a person who knows the truth and wants to blow the whistle and collect millions under Florida law. Greg files a complaint with the Board on Judicial Conduct, and the case is assigned to Lacy Stoltz, who immediately suspects that this one could be dangerous.
Dangerous is one thing. Deadly is something else.
Check Out What Readers Said about Kindle/eBook!
“I am a long time Grisham fan, but was thoroughly disappointed by this new book. I felt no attachment to characters, or the plot. The majority of the book was easily written as a list of everything that transpired after the opening scenes. Even though it was boring to me I trudged through it to the end hoping to find the Grisham I have enjoyed over the years. Total waste of time.” By Toni Aldrich
“In my opinion, as along time reader of probably all of John Grisham’s books, this one just did not measure up to the others. I kept reading it because I had purchased it. It lacked the suspense of the author’s other novels. I am sorry to say I did not like it at all.” By Jean Ann Morris
Kindle Price: Hardcover $17.37, Paperback $18.21, Audible $26.14, Audio CD $33.07
File Size: 1330 KB
Print Length: 386 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0385541198
Publisher: Doubleday (October 25, 2016)
Publication Date: October 25, 2016
Sold by: Random House LLC
X-Ray: Not Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Lending: Not Enabled
Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5 Paid in Kindle Store